1.06.2007

Tzion


Last night, even though I wasn't in Israel physically in my heart I passed through Zion Gate and prayed at the Kotel.













Walking through is so hectic and so exciting. Cars drive through, scraping against the walls of the gate as people scatter through. Lines of taxis impatiently waiting outside, and on Yom Shishi (yom katzar!) it's even more insane than you could ever imagine.




But once you step through security and you are upon the Kotel it takes your breath away and immediately you are flooded with a deep feeling of spirituality. For me, I was in awe and I couldn't wait to pray at the foot of the wall. You start far away and slowly inch your way up. Eventually you look up to get your barings and you can't believe how close you are to the wall. There are two black doves that always nestle in on of the huge crevices in the wall. There's barely enough room for them to fit. It seems like they are always there, maybe just to hear the prayers. Who knows.

And once you are right at the wall, you can see all the prayers that hold it up. And if you are me, you can't wait to kiss it with your lips. I miss the Kotel HaMaariv. I miss Yerushalaim.

Good news!!!!!!! I think I'm going back spring break in March to help restore areas devastated by ketusha rockets fired by hizbollah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The worm's eye view of the rabbis near the wall is awe-mazing. and the last picture is sensational as well... such a beautiful light, such a beautiful touch.
One day, I'll feel it too.

Lezicle said...

I hope so. I'm going back. I can't wait!