2.11.2007

Project 1A


Project 1A: Refurbishing Vintage sterio cabinet
I plan on taking this wonderful piece of furniture and stripping the paint and I was originally planning on staining the wood but I'm not sure that's a possibility. SO now the new plan (1A) is to strip it and then paint it a light green color and put a nice finish of some sort on it. I want to possibly take the handles off and either switch them out with something else or I want to take them and make them look a bit dirtier and make them look like they are made out of copper.

By the time it's done it's going to look just amazing.

Not only will it look amazing. It's going to be ripped. I'm hoping that if I give my current sterio system, speakers, and turntable to my brother perhaps my parents will help me get a new dj turntable, speakers, and a smaller system to fit into the cabinet. The current equipment is ancient and amazing. But I'm worried the needle on the turntable in there will scratch up my records and the radio system works wonderfully, but it was built before casette tapes were even used so the system in the cabinet is essentially worthless even though it is still in functioning condition. Anyway, this is going to be a project that I plan to finish in a year...it'll be a while till this pops back up on thepapermoon.

4 comments:

Perez said...

Don't strip it, unless you know what colour is under the paint. If the wood had dark stain in the frist place, you will have a hard time getting the colour out and will need lots and LOTS of stripper. I would prime it and then paint it. Skip stipping the cabinet. And with all the bumps it has too. I stripper a dresser with primer and dark stain under it, it was a total mess and used a lot of stripper. I did another dresser with bumps on it and had a harder time getting the stain and finisher out of the grooves. Your best bet is to prime it and paint it and call it a day. But good luck with whatever way you go. It will look cool. It is a nice cabinet all around.

Thanks for the comment. I have a long story, and one I have a hard time talking about. But thanks, maybe I will e-mail or something-Take care-perez

Lezicle said...

thanks. that probably is a good idea. i obviously need to do some research and talk to more people before I do it. but i definitely don't think i can let it look this way forever. and the white is going to start driving me nuts. anyway, it does have bumbs and scrapes and i'm not exactly going to miss stripping it or anything. it wasn't something i was looking forward to too much. thanks again! and my email is frosty.windowpanes@gmail.com or weinstla@email.uc.edu. just incase you need it.

Anonymous said...

i like it the way it is right now.

Lezicle said...

thank you m'dear